From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] apply_user_patches
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 16:19:57
On 05/07/12 11:17, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
> > After all, this functionality is just a stop-gap measure for users to > apply quick bug fixes, so I don't expect that it will be used very > often. Even fewer cases will require that eautoreconf is called. Do we > really want to force developers to put this function call into every > ebuild? That would be out of proportion, IMHO.
Only the ebuilds that override src_prepare (which is a lot). The argument on -dev was that we could get 80% of the benefit for 0% of the effort by just ignoring the issue. There's a trade-off, but 80% isn't all that great (considering of course that all of these numbers are made up). Can that be increased to, say, 99% without any extra effort? Are there easy heuristics to determine whether or not user patches require eautoreconf? For example, if the patches fail at the beginning of src_prepare, and the ebuild calls eautoreconf, that's a good indication that we should call eautoreconf after the user patches are applied (at the end of src_prepare). Lacking a better way, though, I think requiring the developer to apply the patches in the right spot is the only way to ensure correctness.

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-pms] apply_user_patches "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>