From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Fill column
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 09:50:45
2010/1/17 Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>:
>> Oh heck no. There's no excuse for using 70 or 80 columns for source >> code any more. My old laptop can fit 100 across the screen >> comfortably, which is much cleaner to work with. > >  We don't talk about source code but continous text even if having some > mark-up around.  And best readability for such text is around 60 > characters per line, languages with long words may have more.
And the *generated* text is wrapped that way, or however else we want it to be. We're discussing the source code, however, which is a whole other thing, and none of your readability studies for printed texts are relevant for it.
>> This bikeshed does not need repainting bright pink with orange spots. > >  And you don't want us to argue about the colour, right?
I don't want you to go and break 'git blame' etc and screw around with something that doesn't need changing, yes. The not-quite-arbitrary decision of "what fits on my laptop screen" that was originally made is equally as good as or better than any alternative. -- Ciaran McCreesh

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-pms] Fill column Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>