From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] A way for trying to prevent useless rebuilds
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 22:31:48
1 El sáb, 27-07-2013 a las 00:22 +0200, Michał Górny escribió:
2 > I'd go for reusing USE dependency defaults syntax, that is:
3 >
4 > category/foo gnome(+)
5 >
6 > and:
7 >
8 > category/foo gnome(-)
9
10 Nice, I was thinking in that syntax when suggesting this ;)
13 > And honestly, I have no idea how safe is that. We'd probably need
14 > version ranges to use it effectively and safely, e.g.
15 >
16 > ~category/foo-2..4 gnome(+)
19 I think this only makes sense when a USE flag is changed without
20 bump/revbump as, otherwise, people will get a rebuild anyway, then:
21 =category/foo-1.x gnome(+)
22
23 should work
24
25 > No idea if and how this should interact with USE dependency defaults
26 > in other packages.
27 >
28 > Ciaran will probably have more doubts.
31 I have seen sometimes people suggesting to manually edit VDB to change
32 the USE flag if wanting to prevent rebuild (I remember this hack for a
33 change in USE flags that affected a ton of kde related packages years
34 ago). My idea would be that this "editing" should be done by portage (or
35 PM) and, then, this should be a two steps process:
36 1. First one should be used to change VDB
37 2. Second one would be to do the usual dep calculation with new VDB
38 information