From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] EAPI specification in ebuilds
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 21:19:36
1 >>>>> On Tue, 10 Apr 2012, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 22:13:09 +0200
4 > Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
5 >> Anyway, what's the usage case for having the EAPI assignment after
6 >> the inherit command? Currently this is forbidden.
7
8 > It is? By the spec, or by QA policy? If it's just the latter, we can't
9 > rely upon people following it.
10
11 Policy. The devmanual says "if you want to override the EAPI variable,
12 you have to specify it at the top of the ebuild" and "eclasses may
13 have EAPI-conditional code".
14
15 > I think this whole thing goes away if you also require in the spec
16 > (i.e. PMS, not QA) that the EAPI assignment be done before anything
17 > else.
18
19 Agreed, that would be best. Now we only need a wording for "before
20 anything else" or "at the top of the ebuild" that is suitable for the
21 spec. ;-)
22
23 And if possible, it should be specified in a way that doesn't
24 invalidate ebuilds with harmless permutations like this:
25
26 WANT_AUTOCONF="2.1"
27 EAPI="3"
28