From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Re: kdebuild-1 conditionals
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 22:06:49
On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 08:57:22PM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> > Also, unless I'm on crack, the person leading PMS is fauli- I'd > > expect he's the one who can pull the veto trick, not you. > > If *anyone* has any objections to patches, we resolve those objections > before proceeding.
Historically that has been a "do as I say, not as I do.". Via ability to directly commit to pms, bits have gone in that would've been argued- or, bits have been left out that would've made the change in general a no go. Unfortunately because of the way the rules are ran, once it's in all it takes is one person stonewalling to keep from getting it fixed- catch 22, if they can push it in then they get it via pulling a veto. Further, frankly it provides a way for you to stonewall fixing known flaws- the entire life of PMS you've been trying to force extended ~ atom support and no one can get that bit removed because *you* stonewall it. You wrote the original bits, now we can't fix the things you forced in via this idiotic veto rule. I digress. Take it to the council as said, it would be interesting to see the slap down on this one, and frankly PMS does need to be far more democratic. Pointing at academic issues (1^23 chance is academic, although yes, sorting it out for the academic case where the FS supports NS is useful) as a claim that the majority cannot overrule is plain political idiocy. Seriously, push it up to the council. You won't budge, and the rest of us probably don't want to spend 2 weeks playing email tag with you. Either that or we just back off and let you get your way per the norm. This I consider an untenuable solution if PMS is to have any relevance long term. ~harring