From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] tree-layout.tex small cleanup
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 21:09:07
1 On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 22:56:52 +0200
2 Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
3 > > The wording in PMS is sound, and says exactly what it needs to say.
4 > > If you'd like to propose clarifications to that wording that make it
5 > > easier to understand, feel free to do so, but the actual meaning
6 > > mustn't be changed.
7 >
8 > "A packager manager should not treat empty categories and categories
9 > that don't exist differently. Both cases should not be treated as
10 > errors."
11 >
12 > How's that? It's not circular and quite readable. And if you noticed
13 > I borrowed most of your interpretation.
14
15 I'd take a patch for that (keeping or clarifying the original sentence),
16 although stylistically, "Neither case should be" is cleaner. Also, I
17 think we're supposed to be using 'must' over 'should', although most of
18 the existing language doesn't...
19
20 > > In
21 > > any case, please learn how to use 'git rebase' and only send patches
22 > > that are against current master -- even for patches that do apply,
23 > > if you're basing them upon unpublished changes, we can't use three
24 > > way merges when applying them.
25 > Ah, that sucks. Is there any non-hellish way to use git then?
26
27 Do your changes on a private branch. Use either 'git cherry-pick'
28 or 'git rebase' to copy them onto either master or a 'to-submit'
29 branch, and create your format-patches from there. Use 'git rebase' to
30 sort your branches out if master changes in the mean time.
31
32 Note that git rebase is a swiss army chainsaw, and unless you
33 understand exactly what it does, it's fairly easy to lose limbs... The
34 'Git for Computer Scientists' article [1] is a pretty good way of
35 learning what's really going on.
36
37 [1]: http://eagain.net/articles/git-for-computer-scientists/
40 Ciaran McCreesh