From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Cc: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>, gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] kdebuild-1 conditionales
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 18:14:30
1 On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 15:44:12 +0100
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3 > >> I'm not looking to start a fight, and frankly after a year or so
4 > >> I've learned to just subconsciously/automatically ignore kdebuild,
5 > >> but why exactly must this be in pms?
6 >
7 > > Because we have not yet established that no users have kdebuild
8 > > things installed.
9 >
10 > This is not a fact that could ever be verified, therefore your
11 > argument is nonsensical.
12
13 Yes it is. All you have to do is send an email to a mailing list that
14 gets read by everyone who could be using kdebuild-1, and give them a
15 reasonable time to reply. Alternatively, you could target a news item
16 at those users, informing them of the removal. Either is entirely
17 doable and a totally reasonable measure to take.
18
19 > > Thus, package managers that support it have to go on supporting it.
20 > > Once kdebuild can be safely removed from package managers that have
21 > > supported it, it can then be removed from PMS.
22 >
23 > Last mention of kdebuild was removed from the KDE overlay at
24 > 2008-09-23, which was more than one year ago. Generally we don't
25 > support upgrades of outdated systems for more than one year.
26
27 The genkdesvn overlay was around for considerably longer than that.
28 Also, we're talking *installed* packages here, not installable ones.
29 Users have installed packages going back a very very long time.
30
31 > But it's irrelevant anyway, since it was never an approved EAPI.
32 > Therefore, we can remove it any time.
33 >
34 > And as was already pointed out several times, there was a council
35 > decision about the issue in the 2008-04-10 meeting:
36 >
37 > | The council voted that kdebuild-1 and other unapproved EAPIs could
38 > | not be in an approved PMS document. The spec isn't a place for
39 > | proposals or things that will never be submitted for approval by
40 > the | council. It's a specification, a reference of what is allowed
41 > in the | main tree.
42
43 And there is a way of getting PMS built without kdebuild-1, for
44 approval. In the mean time, PMS is there to be useful to package
45 manager developers, and so kdebuild-1 needs to remain so long as
46 package managers support it.
49 Ciaran McCreesh