From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] kdebuild-1 conditionales
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 10:06:44
1 On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 10:27:30PM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > * Don't mess with kdebuild until you're sure that no-one has any
3 > kdebuild packages installed.
4
5 I'm not looking to start a fight, and frankly after a year or so I've
6 learned to just subconsciously/automatically ignore kdebuild, but why
7 exactly must this be in pms?
8
9 It's experimental w/ low user acceptance, and was fundamentally
10 outside the gentoo mainstream. If long term maintenance of it is
11 desired for anyone who hasn't yet punted those ebuilds from their
12 vdb, maintain it in a branch rather then the effective head (don't
13 make the mainline suffer maintenance for something that was outside
14 mainline).
15
16 My two cents mind you- at this point, flipping through the source, the
17 kdebuild bits disrupt the flow from my view (and more importantly the
18 resultant read of it due to folks trying to structure the text to be
19 agnostic to non-kdebuild), more importantly doing so w/ minimal gain
20 for the mainstream.
21
22 Either way, take it as a +1 for punting it from mainstream and making
23 the kdebuild specific folk maintain their own branch rather then
24 general eapi (gentoo specific) having to maintain it. Branching of
25 this sort is presumably one of the reasons pms uses a dvcs after all.
26
27 And to head off one angle of argument, I fully expect if I ever get
28 ambitious enough to derive an eapi extension that I'll have to
29 maintain it outside of pms mainline- being nonstandard, I'd expect
30 nothing less (hence the +1 for punting kdebuild).
31
32 My two cents either way, and well aware it's probably not something
33 everyone wants to hear.
34
35 Not a hard +1 since I've zero interest in a fight also, but a +1
36 either way.
37
38 Sorry, but tis my views.
39 ~harring