From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-pms] Re: RFC: Promote 11.3.3 "Ebuild-specific commands" to a section
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 15:30:13
1 >>>>> On Thu, 28 Sep 2017, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2
3 > Currently chapter 11 "The Ebuild Environment" is the largest chapter
4 > by far with 23 pages (second is chapter 9 "Ebuild-defined functions"
5 > with only 8 pages). Subsection 11.3.3 "Ebuild-specific commands" alone
6 > has 14 pages, and with EAPI 7 it will grow further.
7
8 > So I wonder if we could promote "Ebuild-specific commands" to a
9 > section. I see two possibilities:
10
11 > - Most straight forward would be to promote section 11.3 "Available
12 > Commands" to a chapter. OTOH, that would also move 11.3.2 to section
13 > level, which feels wrong because it has only three lines.
14
15 > - Alternatively, we could leave the chapter structure alone, rename
16 > section 11.3 to "External Commands", and promote 11.3.3 to a new
17 > section 11.4. Chapter 11 would keep its somewhat excessive length,
18 > though.
19
20 > I would slightly prefer the second plan, unless anybody has a better
21 > idea.
22
23 Actually the first plan requires fewer changes of text. A series of
24 two patches will follow, please review.
25
26 Ulrich