From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] apply_user_patches (was: EAPI 5 development branch)
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 16:31:02
On Mon, 7 May 2012 17:17:10 +0200
Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
> [...]
Why? That error will only happen at most once, and users will never see it.
> After all, this functionality is just a stop-gap measure for users to > apply quick bug fixes, so I don't expect that it will be used very > often. Even fewer cases will require that eautoreconf is called. Do we > really want to force developers to put this function call into every > ebuild? That would be out of proportion, IMHO.
"It not being used very often" is the key issue: developers are likely to forget about it if they're not forced to remember. It's especially complicated when eclasses are involved, so even if developers do remember, they may not be sure whether they have to specify it in a particular case. We can avoid a huge pile of "blah doesn't work properly with user patches!" bugs here, essentially for free. -- Ciaran McCreesh