From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] empty Manifest files
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 23:14:23
1 On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 11:26:37PM +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > Section 4.3 "Package Directories" says:
3 > <https://projects.gentoo.org/pms/6/pms.html#x1-340004.3>
4 >
5 > A package directory contains the following:
6 > [...]
7 > * A Manifest file, whose format is described in [GLEP 44].
8 >
9 > Which is the only item not marked as optional in that list. Now with
10 > thin manifests the file can end up empty, in which case it is omitted
11 > (e.g. if the package contains only live ebuilds).
12 >
13 > So, should we enforce that there is always a Manifest file even if it
14 > is empty, or should we update the spec? I would suggest the latter.
15 An empty Manifest is a specific case to consider for MetaManifest and
16 package manager security concerns: The MetaManifest specification needs
17 to related update to declare that it must be used with non-thin
18 Manifests (this prevents an attack that injects a Manifest not covered
19 by the MetaManifest).
20
21 As long as that case is handled correctly, I think permitting the
22 absence of a thin Manifest is a good idea; with the related remark that
23 thick Manifests can never be empty.
26 Robin Hugh Johnson
27 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Trustee & Treasurer
28 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
29 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
30 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136