From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-pms@l.g.o, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Rephrasing *DEPEND
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 14:49:42
>> It would be more accurate to say that it's guaranteed except for >> cases in which circular dependencies make it impossible to >> guarantee.
> This or other words, this makes this an unreliable feature. So, > right now, users can't assume anything specific about dependencies > being installed in pkg_*?
Currently, PMS only says: "These must be installed and usable before the ebuild is treated as usable." It doesn't say anything about phases.
> Doesn't this make it actually impossible to call the installed > application in pkg_postinst()?
I've always added such packages that I needed in pkg_postinst() to both DEPEND and RDEPEND. IIRC, a specific merge order in Portage is only guaranteed for DEPEND type dependencies, but not for RDEPEND and PDEPEND. Ulrich

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-pms] Rephrasing *DEPEND Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>