From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] EAPI specification in ebuilds
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 16:58:29
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 08:43:55AM -0700, Zac Medico wrote: >> We could make the ([A-Za-z0-9+_.-]*) group "optional", but treat it >> as an error if the group is missing. That way, the package manager >> can detect invalid assignments earlier, and can skip sourcing the >> ebuild in this case.
Currently there isn't any ebuild in the tree that assigns an empty EAPI, so I think we can neglect any performance issues.
> Or disallow EAPI= .
Probably it's simpler to keep the regexp as it is, but error out if the second group is empty.
> There isn't any reason to reset it to an unknown EAPI manually like > that; if code does that, the code is wrong imo, thus skip trying to > parse that.
I see no valid usage case why an ebuild should assign the empty string to the EAPI variable. So we could add a sentence like "It is an error for an ebuild to assign an empty EAPI." to the first paragraph of this subsection: <> Ulrich

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-pms] EAPI specification in ebuilds Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>