From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Title Case versus sentence case
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 13:20:34
1 On śro, 2017-04-12 at 14:52 +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > > > > > > On Wed, 12 Apr 2017, Guilherme Amadio wrote:
3 > > [3] The Chicago Manual of Style, Chapter 8, Section 157
4 > > http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/16/ch08/ch08_sec157.html
5 > > Above is another interesting reference to follow.
6 >
7 > It is on my shelf here (14th edition from 1993 though). :)
8 >
9 > > It should be noted that different languages have different rules
10 > > (or preferences) for capitalization, so whatever reference we follow
11 > > should be for English.
12 >
13 > The problem is that there is more than one set of rules for English.
14 > According to Wikipedia [4], "the rules differ substantially between
15 > individual house styles" and "the convention followed by many British
16 > publishers [...] is sentence-style capitalisation in headlines".
17 >
18 > As PMS follows British English spelling (with some exceptions, e.g.,
19 > "licence" is spelt "license" even if it doesn't denote the variable),
20 > maybe we should also go with sentence case then?
21
22 You should start discussion about unifying BrE vs AmE as well ;-P.
25 Best regards,
26 Michał Górny