From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Cc: calchan@g.o, tanderson@g.o, dagger@g.o, dev-portage@g.o, ferringb@g.o, graaff@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-pms] The PMS test suite GSoC project
Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 09:15:22
(CC-ing Package Manager devs)

Dear developers,

For this year's GSoC I'm working a project called the 'PMS test suite'.
In simplest words, it will be a suite of tools allowing to test
a particular Package Manager for compliance with what PMS says.

The final objective would be for the suite to be able to flexibly
adjust itself to changes in PMS, reading the specs directly from it
and matching them with available tests. As Hans de Graaff suggested,
dev-util/cucumber could be used for that. Reaching this objective
isn't planned for the SoC coding period though.

The first step would be to develop a simple test library format
and a suite of tools to convert those tests into ebuilds and run them
using a PM of choice. Afterwards, that suite could be extended with
a tool creating such a library using PMS spec directly.

I'm going to begin creating/forking repos and coding soon, thus I'd
appreciate any comments and advises.

Best regards,
Michał Górny