From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Cc: calchan@g.o, tanderson@g.o, dagger@g.o, dev-portage@g.o, ferringb@g.o, graaff@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-pms] The PMS test suite GSoC project
Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 09:15:22
1 (CC-ing Package Manager devs)
2
3 Dear developers,
4
5 For this year's GSoC I'm working a project called the 'PMS test suite'.
6 In simplest words, it will be a suite of tools allowing to test
7 a particular Package Manager for compliance with what PMS says.
8
9 The final objective would be for the suite to be able to flexibly
10 adjust itself to changes in PMS, reading the specs directly from it
11 and matching them with available tests. As Hans de Graaff suggested,
12 dev-util/cucumber could be used for that. Reaching this objective
13 isn't planned for the SoC coding period though.
14
15 The first step would be to develop a simple test library format
16 and a suite of tools to convert those tests into ebuilds and run them
17 using a PM of choice. Afterwards, that suite could be extended with
18 a tool creating such a library using PMS spec directly.
19
20 I'm going to begin creating/forking repos and coding soon, thus I'd
21 appreciate any comments and advises.
24 Best regards,
25 Michał Górny