From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] EAPI specification in ebuilds
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2012 21:25:23
1 >>>>> On Fri, 6 Apr 2012, David Leverton wrote:
2
3 >> +It is an error for an ebuild to contain more than one \t{EAPI} assignment.
4
5 > Are package managers expected to enforce this in the parsing stage
6 > (at least within the first 20 lines) or is it OK to stop reading as
7 > soon as you see a valid EAPI= line (so any conflicting later
8 > assignments would get caught by making sure the post-source EAPI
9 > matches the parsed one,
10
11 I guess the pragmatic approach is that the package manager would stop
12 reading when it encounters the first valid EAPI assignment (or after
13 line 20, whatever occurs first). The sanity check is that the two EAPI
14 values obtained by parsing and sourcing must agree.
15
16 In theory this may leave some loopholes, i.e. it is possible to
17 construct an ebuild that would be invalid by the wording of the spec
18 but would be accepted as valid ebuild by the package manager. I don't
19 think that this has any practical relevance though.
20
21 > but redundant assignments with the same EAPI would get through)?
22
23 Right, assigning the same EAPI twice would be an example for an ebuild
24 that is invalid but accepted by the package manager. But would this
25 cause any problems?
26
27 Ulrich