From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] kdebuild-1 conditionals
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 18:14:25
On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 09:51:56PM +0100, Christian Faulhammer wrote:
> Hi, > > in commit 6a281c0bc6b951c0885c8787fa5c353a4f4e3d0d I disabled > kdebuild-1 by default. My proposal now is to drop the KDEBUILD > conditionals as a whole as the overlay has gone anyway, where it was > used. We can add a sentence in the introduction or wherever which says > something along the lines like "kdebuild-1 was the first EAPI like > format that supported extended features added to official EAPIs later > on and was heavily tested in the official Gentoo KDE overlay". This > would ease maintenance a bit.
One potential compromise- tag in a section in pms about "nonstandard eapis" and throw in some links to places folks can look. That general approach should provide a way to retire standardized EAPIs from the doc also- same thing "go look here". Aside from that, the 'first' bit is inaccurate- prefix actually was first (almost since their inception they relied on it). Either way, +1 for punting it. Someone earlier labeled it as a "latex obfuscator"- that pretty much nails my views/reasoning for wanting it gone. Tt's a bit like c source, ones annoyance grows proportional to the invasiveness of ifdefs. ~harring

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-pms] kdebuild-1 conditionals Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>