From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] apply_user_patches
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 18:26:50
On Mon, 7 May 2012 20:16:30 +0200
Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
> Also, if we add the feature to EAPI 5, we won't get anything close to > 100% coverage for a very long time. (Looking at usage statistics, EAPI > 2 was introduced almost 4 years ago, and about 30% of the tree are > still at EAPI 0 or 1.)
Doesn't matter. The point is to offer a feature which won't fail unexpectedly. If a user tries to supply patches for an ebuild that doesn't explicitly support it, the user gets told at pretend time.
> Couldn't the PM call a user-supplied script (which would be a file > with a special name placed in the same directory) after applying the > user patches? Since this script could do any postprocessing required, > applying user patches could be postponed until after src_prepare.
If you want to do it that way, the feature should have no EAPI or tree support at all, and it becomes entirely reliant upon users knowing enough to sort out the problems themselves. -- Ciaran McCreesh