From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Write to filesystem in pkg_* phases
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2014 15:47:37
1 >>>>> On Mon, 2 Jun 2014, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 11:42:07 +0200
4 > Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
5 >> We say in Table 11.1 [3] that T and TMPDIR (and HOME) are legal in all
6 >> phases and must be "the location of a usable temporary directory". At
7 >> the same time, we say in the spec for pkg_* phases that they "must not
8 >> write to the filesystem" [4], or that they "must not write outside of
9 >> the directories specified by the ROOT and D environment variables" [5]
10 >> which effectively forbids writing to the ${T} etc. directories.
11
12 > The point of them pointing to a usable directory is just to avoid
13 > problems with things that break if the variable is empty or set to
14 > nonsense.
15
16 Yeah, but what is the point of restricting writes if the directory is
17 usable?
18
19 Ulrich