From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] tree-layout.tex small cleanup
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 23:16:55
1 On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 01:07:25 +0200
2 Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
4 > > > >>>>> On Sat, 19 Sep 2009, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > > > > But it was an official Gentoo project, [...]
6 > > >
7 > > > The 2008-04-10 council summary says something different:
8 > > >
9 > > > # The council voted that kdebuild-1 and other unapproved EAPIs
10 > > > could # not be in an approved PMS document. The spec isn't a
11 > > > place for # proposals or things that will never be submitted for
12 > > > approval by the # council. It's a specification, a reference of
13 > > > what is allowed in the # main tree.
14 > >
15 > > Please point to where the Council said that the Gentoo KDE project
16 > > wasn't an official Gentoo project.
17 >
18 > That is unrelated to the matter. Please stop trying to confuse the
19 > discussion when you run out of arguments.
20
21 I made a claim, and Ulrich said that the Council disagreed. But the
22 decision he points to does not contradict the claim I made. It's
23 entirely related.
24
25 > The council statement is VERY clear and unambiguous. What other
26 > gentoo projects do on the side is their thing and not directly
27 > related to PMS (unless you intend to have the prefix project merge
28 > all their changes and new EAPIs into PMS?)
29
30 Sure. If the prefix project can put together a specification-quality
31 description of their work, and can guarantee the level of stability
32 that we need from EAPIs, I'd be happy to see it in PMS. It would be much
33 more useful for package manager authors to have it documented and well
34 defined.
35
36 > > > So, really no need to discuss it further.
37 > >
38 > > Sure there is. Let's look at what happens if you remove it:
39 > >
40 > > * It makes it harder for package manager authors to deal with things
41 > > that were delivered by an official Gentoo project.
42 > Then they need to read that project's documentation. The genkdesvn
43 > project is free to split out their own PMS+kdebuild-1 fork.
44
45 Forks are a last resort. For package manager authors, having a single
46 source rather than two is much easier, and if it's possible to do
47 things that way then we should. Forks should only happen when there's
48 no other way of resolving it.
49
50 Why should we make PMS less useful for package manager developers?
53 Ciaran McCreesh