From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: Micha?? G??rny <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-pms] Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP: gentoo sync based unified deps proposal
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 09:24:26
1 On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 10:25:51AM +0200, Micha?? G??rny wrote:
2 > > test depends: to specifically mark those dependencies that are only
3 > > needed for when the pkg is being tested; effectively ephemeral
4 > > build/run time depends that go away once testing is completed.
5 >
6 > Does that mean that USE=test is going away somehow?
7
8 If you think it through, a test use flag still is needed in the cases
9 where the rdep itself would change if test was enabled; such a source
10 is fairy rare, but not always just someone being moronic- certain
11 cases to do testing, the tests need to reach in fairly deeply and
12 recompilation for compile vs test isn't exposed.
15 > Also, could you please stop spreading FUD with your examples?
16
17 It's not FUD; it's rendered deps, and a demonstration of how they
18 collapse down naturally on their own regardless of how you generate
19 them.
20
21 Quite frankly, it's a fairly effective demonstration in my views, but
22 so it goes.
23
24 > A quick
25 > glance shows that what you have expanded there, a fairly reasonable
26 > Gentoo dev will solve using:
27 >
28 > RDEPEND="[common depends]"
29 > DEPEND="${RDEPEND}
30 > [build only depends]"
31
32 from diffball (under current EAPIs)
33
34 """
35 RDEPEND=">=sys-libs/zlib-1.1.4
36 >=app-arch/bzip2-1.0.2
37 app-arch/xz-utils"
38 DEPEND="${RDEPEND}
39 virtual/pkgconfig"
40 """
41
42 becomes the following under the proposal:
43
44 """
45 DEPENDENCIES=">=sys-libs/zlib-1.1.4
46 >=app-arch/bzip2-1.0.2
47 app-arch/xz-utils"
48 dep:build? ( virtual/pkgconfig )"
49 """
50
51 Suspect I may add that to the doc; it's a good example of the ground
52 level simple gains for devs inherent in the proposal- thanks for
53 helping improve it.
56 > So if you really want to show some advantages, please compare it with
57 > *real* code.
58
59 I think I'll take the risk, and assume people capable of discussing
60 DEPENDENCIES and vaguely knowledgable in the ebuild format will be
61 able to understand how their ebuilds will change; thus I'll skip that
62 request of yours.
65 A productive suggestion for you; you should go looking through the
66 tree finding cases where DEPENENCIES is a regression in form at the
67 shell level, or rendered deps level.
68
69 Should you manage to find something that's not contrived or
70 intentionally cracktastic, I expect people would be interested.
71
72 ~harring