From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Variancy?
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2010 22:21:41
1 On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 23:13:30 +0100
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3 > Thank you for your quick response, but this doesn't answer my
4 > questions:
5
6 Well, the entire thing's irrelevant, since Portage's implementation
7 ignored all the careful discussion and planning that went into the
8 wording in PMS... But if you're thinking of fixing Portage, then...
9
10 > >> Why is the second item needed? Changes to DISTDIR don't alter other
11 > >> packages, so aren't they covered by the first item anyway? Or do I
12 > >> misunderstand the first item's first sentence?
13
14 Modifying DISTDIR's technically modifying things on /. Or at least, it
15 can be interpreted that way, so the clarification's needed.
16
17 > >> Which of the following examples count as "variancy"?
18 > >> - Calling enewuser() in pkg_setup,
19
20 That's a "simple addition of something that doesn't alter other
21 packages", unless you go out of your way to concoct a deliberately
22 perverse counterexample.
23
24 > >> - Removing orphan files in pkg_setup,
25
26 Depends upon whether doing so modifies other packages. Although, orphan
27 stuff is a job for pkg_preinst or pkg_postinst, not pkg_setup.
28
29 > >> - Calling pkg_pretend.
30
31 pkg_pretend's sandboxed and isn't supposed to be modifying /, so that
32 should be ok.
35 Ciaran McCreesh