From: Guilherme Amadio <amadio@g.o>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Title Case versus sentence case
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 11:05:09
1 Hi,
2
3 On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 12:34:23PM +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
4 > This is one for the typography geeks. :)
5 >
6 > Out of the 167 (1st to 4th level) section headings in PMS, 72 are
7 > using Title Case (i.e., important words are capitalised) and 38 are
8 > using sentence case (only first word capitalised). For the remaining
9 > 57 it makes no difference (e.g., because they consist of a single word
10 > only).
11 >
12 > Clearly this is inconsistent. Should we change to:
13 >
14 > - Sentence case. This is the style used in the wiki [1].
15 > - Title Case. This is what is used in the Devmanual. OTOH, section
16 > headings containing technical terms like "The parent File" look a
17 > little strange.
18 > - APA style [2]: Title Case at levels 1 and 2 (i.e., chapters and
19 > sections) but sentence case at levels 3 and lower. This might
20 > require the fewest changes, because all chapter headings are in
21 > Title Case already, whereas sentence case seems to be preferred at
22 > lower levels.
23 >
24 > Ulrich
25 >
26 > [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_Wiki:Guidelines#Titles_and_section_headings
27 > [2] http://blog.apastyle.org/apastyle/headings/
28
29 [3] The Chicago Manual of Style, Chapter 8, Section 157
30 http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/16/ch08/ch08_sec157.html
31
32 Above is another interesting reference to follow. It should be noted that
33 different languages have different rules (or preferences) for capitalization,
34 so whatever reference we follow should be for English.
35
36 Cheers,
37 —Guilherme