From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] EAPI cheat sheet (for review)
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 17:39:41
On Sun, 5 Apr 2009 21:21:16 +0200
Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o> wrote:
> Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>: > > I'm going to be with laptop stuck in the middle of wet, miserable, > > rainy nowhere > > That sounds like Scotland.
Scotland has working interwebnets! I'm going to be in The North, which is far worse.
> a) redefine \label, so it always displays its parameter in the margin. > b) use a new \pmslabel and \pmsref command which will set a label and > display it in the margin without touching the original \label command. > \pmsref would then display something like "eapi2:phase:src_install on > page 5". So using \ref will still return the section. > > Implementation differs only in detail, a) allows using the standard > commands, b) needs the writer to think about what he does. I vote for > b) as a) may break in funny environments as floats and friends (table, > figure, minipage etc.).
b) is fine. If there's any chance a) will cause weird breakages, we should probably avoid it for sanity's sake.
> Next thing. Putting those labels in the margin of the page makes it > quite crowded. From a typographical point of view your page layout is > just horrible. So I propose a redesign of the text and white space > proportions, which will lead to larger margins all around (and pushing > the PMS beyond 100 pages, according to my first test runs)
Mmm. The problem with pushing that too far is that you end up with two paragraphs on a page... I'm already printing 2-up for when I want to read PMS properly. Don't make me have to buy an ebook reader!
> Timeframe? You want EAPI 3 to go in before I do my stuff here: > > i) factor out pms.cls and comment the preamble a bit > ii) cheat sheet with EAPI 3 > iii) provide named \label and \ref commands > iv) redesing page layout
Are you comfortable working off my eapi-3 branch that I rebase every now and again? -- Ciaran McCreesh

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-pms] EAPI cheat sheet (for review) Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>