From: Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>
To: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
Cc: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>, gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-pms] Minor corrections
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 22:42:33
1 Hi,
2
3 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>:
4
5 > On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 12:42:11 +0200
6 > Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o> wrote:
7 > > Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>:
8 > > > >>>>> On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Christian Faulhammer wrote:
9 > > >
10 > > > > "ill defined" sounds not nice(TM) to me, so I still vote for a
11 > > > > different wording, not for the intention. "volatile" seemed
12 > > > > suitable to me but I may be convinced to a different vocabulary.
13 > > >
14 > > > How about "indeterminate"? Or pick another synonym from this list:
15 > > > <http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/ill-defined>
16 > >
17 > > I went with indeterminate.
18 >
19 > I've reverted this. Your change was grammatically incorrect and wasn't
20 > what had been discussed on this list, and you've still not explained
21 > why 'ill-defined' is in any way hostile.
22
23 This seems to be a cultural misunderstanding. In my ears (and ulm's
24 initially, we have the same mother tongue) "ill-defined" sounds hostile,
25 though it seems, that this is not true for native speakers of English.
26
27 V-Li
31 Christian Faulhammer, Gentoo Lisp project
32 <URL:http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/>, #gentoo-lisp on FreeNode
33
34 <URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>