From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-pms@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-pms] RFC: Promote 11.3.3 "Ebuild-specific commands" to a section
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2017 17:04:18
1 Currently chapter 11 "The Ebuild Environment" is the largest chapter
2 by far with 23 pages (second is chapter 9 "Ebuild-defined functions"
3 with only 8 pages). Subsection 11.3.3 "Ebuild-specific commands" alone
4 has 14 pages, and with EAPI 7 it will grow further.
5
6 So I wonder if we could promote "Ebuild-specific commands" to a
7 section. I see two possibilities:
8
9 - Most straight forward would be to promote section 11.3 "Available
10 Commands" to a chapter. OTOH, that would also move 11.3.2 to section
11 level, which feels wrong because it has only three lines.
12
13 - Alternatively, we could leave the chapter structure alone, rename
14 section 11.3 to "External Commands", and promote 11.3.3 to a new
15 section 11.4. Chapter 11 would keep its somewhat excessive length,
16 though.
17
18 I would slightly prefer the second plan, unless anybody has a better
19 idea.
20
21 Ulrich