From: Joakim Tjernlund <joakim.tjernlund@×××××××××.se>
To: "gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Managing etc/* in an embbeded system
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 18:17:15
1 On Wed, 2015-07-22 at 08:45 -0700, Brian Dolbec wrote:
2 > On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 09:27:36 +0000
3 > Joakim Tjernlund <joakim.tjernlund@×××××××××.se> wrote:
4 >
5 > > We got an embedded gentoo system where we need to manage many conf
6 > > files under /etc that we have modified and should be under our
7 > > control when an SW upgrade is performed.
8 > >
9 > > Cloning every ebuild where we have modified its conf file(s)
10 > > under /etc feels awkward so I am looking for some other way to do
11 > > this automatically during SW upgrade and I figured this can not be an
12 > > unique problem for us, so I wonder how other people have solved this
13 > > problem? Our customers will not use emerge directly and we will
14 > > provide binary pkgs.
15 > >
16 > > Any ideas welcome :)
17 > >
18 > > Jocke
19 >
20 > I see you've been getting good responses to your gentoo-dev copy of
21 > this email... :)
22
23 Yes, plenty!
26 > We have nothing extra to offer. As was stated, portage was not
27 > designed for speciality config management.
30 Here is your chance then :)
31 Seems one can do stuff with package.env and friends but these are not in the profile?
32 Ideally I would like to provide as much as possible via a custom profile and just
33 have individual stuff(as per machine) in /etc/portage
34
35 Even better if one can just add your own conf files inside the profile and these take
36 precedence over any files in an ebuild.
37
38 Jocke