From: "Rick \\\"Zero_Chaos\\\" Farina" <zerochaos@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Portage and Update Security
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 15:35:55
1 On 03/10/15 17:15, Vladimir Diaz wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I am a developer in the Secure Systems Lab at NYU. Our lab has
5 > collaborated with popular software update systems in the open-source
6 > community, including APT, yum, and YaST, to address security problems.
7 > More recently, we have been working on a flexible security framework
8 > co-developed with the Tor project that can be easily added to software
9 > updaters to transparently solve many of the known security flaws we have
10 > uncovered in software updaters. We would like to work with The Portage
11 > Development Project to better secure the Portage distribution system.
12 >
13 > TUF
14 > <https://github.com/theupdateframework/tuf#a-framework-for-securing-software-update-systems>
15 > (The Update Framework) is a library that can be added to an existing
16 > software update system and is designed to update files in a more secure
17 > manner. Many software updaters verify software updates with cryptographic
18 > signatures and hash functions, but they typically fail to protect against
19 > malicious attacks that target the metadata and update files presented to
20 > clients. A rollback attack is one such example, where an attacker tricks a
21 > client into installing older files than those the client has already seen
22 > (these older files may be vulnerable versions that have since been fixed).
23 > A full list of attacks and weaknesses the framework is designed to address
24 > is provided here
25 > <https://github.com/theupdateframework/tuf/blob/develop/SECURITY.md#security>
26 > .
27 >
28 > Our website <http://theupdateframework.com/index.html> includes more
29 > information about TUF, including: papers
30 > <https://github.com/theupdateframework/tuf/tree/develop/docs/papers> and a
31 > specification
32 > <https://github.com/theupdateframework/tuf/blob/develop/docs/tuf-spec.txt>.
33 > If you want to see how an existing project integrates TUF, there is a
34 > standards track proposal
35 > <https://github.com/pypa/interoperability-peps/blob/master/pep-0458-tuf-online-keys.rst#abstract>
36 > to the Python community that you can review. A more rigorous proposal that
37 > requires more administrative work on the repository, but provides more
38 > security protections, is also available
39 > <https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0480/>.
40 >
41 > We were thinking of submitting a pull request that shows how such an
42 > integration would work. So there hopefully won't be much leg work on your
43 > end apart from deciding how the system should be configured (key storage,
44 > roles, etc.).
45 >
46 > Would a pull request be of interest? Is there anything you'd like us to
47 > say more about?
48
49 I can't speak for the portage team, but I'm certainly interested to see
50 what you have to show. Security should matter to everyone.
51
52 -Zero.
53 >
54 > Thanks,
55 > Vlad
56 >
57 > P.S.
58 > There are Informational <http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GLEP:57> and Standards
59 > Track <http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GLEP:58> GLEPs that reference our work
60 > and the security issues that our project addresses, but there hasn't been
61 > much recent activity on these proposals.
64 > --
65 > vladimir.v.diaz@×××××.com
66 > PGP fingerprint = ACCF 9DCA 73B9 862F 93C5 6608 63F8 90AA 1D25 3935
67 > --