From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@××××××××××××××××××××××××.es>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: Recommendation about faster (not smaller) filesystem and blocksize combination for portage tree
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 22:46:54
In Reply to: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: Recommendation about faster (not smaller) filesystem and blocksize combination for portage tree by Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net>
1 El lun, 30-03-2009 a las 16:30 +0000, Duncan escribió:
2 > Pacho Ramos <pacho@××××××××××××××××××××××××.es> posted
3 > 1238412618.18113.15.camel@localhost, excerpted below, on Mon, 30 Mar 2009
4 > 13:30:18 +0200:
5 >
6 > > I am trying to know what filesystem+blocksize combination could be
7 > > better for the kind of files stored in portage tree.
8 > >
9 > > In the past, I have been using reiserfs for my / partition and I had
10 > > /usr/portage under it. Later, I moved /usr/portage to a different
11 > > partition (distfiles go to a different directory) and switched it to
12 > > ext2 (as, in theory, ext2 should be faster as has no journaling) and
13 > > 2048 as blocksize (that, of course, shrinks portage tree sizes but I am
14 > > unsure about its effects from a performance point of view)
15 >
16 > You are aware of the various reiserfs mount options, including notail and
17 > nolog, right? See the mount manpage. reiserfs was tuned for small
18 > files, but these may speed it up even further.
19 >
20 > Other than that, much as I could suggest all sorts of stuff (like
21 > PORTAGE_TMPDIR as tmpfs, will probably make more of a difference if you
22 > have a decent amount of memory), I'll point you to the user forums and
23 > list as more appropriate. This list is really for discussion of portage
24 > and portage related development, not so much user portage speed tips, but
25 > ask in the user list and forums and you'll surely get all sorts of info!
26 > =:^)
29 Thanks, finally seems that, in my case, reiserfs with nolog,noatime
30 works really fast and with a smaller size (thanks to "tail") :-D
31
32 Best regards!