From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Cc: psm@××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] ebuild path/to/ebuild rpm does not work, spec files aren't generated
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 12:37:12
1 On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 08:26 +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > On Thursday 27 October 2005 08:04, m h wrote:
3 > > Hmmm, then I must be missing where the spec file gets generated,
4 > > because there is no code in ebuild.py that does it...
5 >
6 > ebuild.py..? Are you using 2.1.0_alphayymmdd? You may very well be the only
7 > person trying to use rpm with that version. Try dropping back to 2.0.53 and
8 > see what happens there.
9
10 If I may chime in. Our rpm support is a tad incomplete currently. I've
11 got some patches which overhaul the rpm handling in portage that come
12 from Peter S. Mazinger so portage can properly generate usable rpm's
13 without requiring user interaction etc. It's $FEATURE based and I've got
14 about 135 packages built from it in my local tree. I think Peter has
15 some 500+ working ones.
16
17 http://dev.gentoo.org/~solar/patch_overlay/sys-apps/portage/
18 portage-*rpm*.patch
19
20 The package rpm itself in portage needs some love, which is why these
21 really patches have not been submitted to bugzilla/portage-dev yet.
22 Before this support can really work properly we have to find a
23 maintainer for the rpm package and get him/her the patches to allow us
24 to have /usr/src/gentoo and gentoo-like configurations. Originally only
25 redhat/mandrake/suse/conectiva compatible packages were supported. We
26 have some PIC corrections, corrections from openpkg, allow to bootstrap
27 into packaging, and better handling of shared/debug/rpc allow to use
28 newer beecrypt and system provided popt corrections from openpkg.
29
30 ----
31
32 Peter anything I'm forgetting to mention about this?
33 You have to subscribe to the mailing list to reply.
37 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
40 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list