From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o, Samuel Bernardo <samuelbernardo.mail@×××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: EAPI 6
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2020 18:49:02
1 On 3/14/20 7:20 AM, Samuel Bernardo wrote:
2 > Hi again,
3 >
4 > As a suggestion, I would propose for each overlay to override the eclass
5 > functions for those necessary to EAPI 6 within their ebuilds.
6
7 Yes, either do that or upgrade EAPI in the ebuilds.
8
9 > For instance, go-overlay could use old eclasses that support EAPI 6
10 > overriding the current ones. For some reason they updated their eclasses
11 > to  EAPI 7 before updating the ebuilds.
12
13 Apparently the go-overlay sabotaged itself with this commit:
14
15 https://github.com/Dr-Terrible/go-overlay/commit/2b5bfa01bf8777f28f57eb5b7da2ccde4ace744b#diff-2e747d04b1138fffb99dbb6a5fdd6c1b
16
17 > This brings me to the main issue that is the portage cache and possible
18 > conficts between those eclass defined in the overlay and those from
19 > gentoo main stream. Maybe a name convention would be useful here for
20 > future upgrades as a code styling guide for gentoo developers.
21
22 There's no conflict. Overlays are free to override eclasses as needed.
23
24 > What do you think about this kind of issues?
25
26 It's not a good idea for overlays to make eclass changes that break
27 their own ebuilds.
28
29 > Best,
30 >