From: John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Extra USE field
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 23:20:01
1 On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 01:03, Joseph Booker wrote:
2 > On Sun, July 25, 2004 5:58 pm, John Nilsson said:
3 > > Why not drop global useflags entierly?
4 > >
5 > > There really is no reason for them. Extend euse to modify
6 > > /etc/portage/packages.use.
7 > >
8 > > I think it is time to begin decentralizing the system now. Portage is
9 > > getting rather large and will probably be broken up into pieces in the
10 > > future. If ebuilds didn't have to concider some global useflag namespace
11 > > it would be eaiser to sync diffrent vendors trees.
12 > >
13 > > -John
17 > :( so instead of adding USE="gnome" to make.conf, i would have to check
18 > every package i emerge to see if it uses the 'gnome',
19 > 'gnomelib','gnome-integratoin', or w/e other local use flag (since the
20 > names wouldn't be standardized) and add those to /etc/portage/package.use?
21 > that one file could get *really* big, I use *alot* of USE flags
22
23 I'm thinking a more automatic aproach... like:
24
25 howabout dropping /etc/portage/package.use and just utilize the
26 /var/db/pkg files?
27
28 USE="useflag" emerge package
29
30 USE will cascade over the /var/db/pkg/cat/package/USE
31
32 -John