From: Joakim Tjernlund <Joakim.Tjernlund@××××××××.com>
To: "gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] USE_EXPAND in profiles?
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 14:24:35
1 On Thu, 2016-03-31 at 02:26 +1300, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On 31 March 2016 at 01:49, Joakim Tjernlund
3 > <Joakim.Tjernlund@××××××××.com> wrote:
6 > > I am missing something?
7 > > Generally I think that everything possible to do under /etc/portage should be
8 > > doable under a profile as well.
9 >
10 > So after you ignore my other stuff:  Profiles are part of the PMS
11 > specification, so any changes that go in there have to be EAPI
12 > scheduled and cried over for a bit, and probably GLEPs and stuff also.
13 >
14 > I guess portage could informally support it prior to any such
15 > specification materialising, but it would have to be forbidden in the
16 > main tree until such a specification was defined, or the portage tree
17 > would become PMS in-compatible.
18
19 Yes, exactly! There is no need to use non PMS compatible features in
20 the gentoo tree.
21
22  Jocke