From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Environment Whitelisting
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 23:58:05
1 On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 08:28:08AM +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 23 August 2005 06:40, Brian Harring wrote:
3 > > On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 11:33:23PM +0200, Marius Mauch wrote:
4 > > > Theoretical discussions about this are pointless IMO without
5 > > > numbers/facts to back things up.
6 > >
7 > > I'd posit theroetical discussions about this are pointless without
8 > > getting ebuild dev's to give a yay/nay on whether they want it or not;
9 > > not much for trying to force it down their throats if they don't want
10 > > it (more work, essentially).
11 >
12 > I don't really see what it has to do with ebuild devs... We're talking about
13 > the user's environment leaking into the portage build environment, no?
14 > Environment vars used by ebuilds can/should be set by users in a portage
15 > configuration file rather than being added to the environment. The only
16 > issue i see here is user customizations - fex, a hypothetical colorgcc that
17 > gets its config info from the env.
18 Ixnaying user env leaking in will lead to bugs where ebuilds *allow*
19 for that, along with pissed off ebuild devs if they've not been made
20 aware of it oncoming.
21
22 Hell, they may not even agree on the deterministic bit re: env; this
23 would explicitly block developers from fooling with autotool vars
24 (WANT_AUTOMAKE fex) for testing without mangling the ebuild.
25
26 So yeah, I'm trying to ensure we're not screamed at for deploying what
27 (imo) is a good change, but may piss people off if it's not stated up
28 front (akin to glep 33).
29 ~harring