From: warnera6 <warnera6@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] .53, .54 and beyond...
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 00:12:13
1 Jason Stubbs wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 07 December 2005 01:01, Marius Mauch wrote:
3 >
4 >>On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 23:19:38 +0900
5 >>Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o> wrote:
6 >>
7 >>>If there's no solid opposition, Saturday I will put current trunk into
8 >>>~arch as 2.1_beta20051210.
9 >>
10 >>Well, I've already stated several times that IMO using a 2.1 branch is
11 >>wrong (use 2.2 instead), but if I'm overvoted, so it shall be.
14 > As Brian stated, 2.2 being a version higher than 2.1 will have all the same
15 > expectations placed on it. From what I can see, <1% of users know anything
16 > about 2.1 so >99% would be wondering why there was a jump from 2.0 to 2.2.
17 > Do you have anything against 2.1 other than fearing that people will expect
18 > more from it than it will turn out to be?
21 >>>As for stable users? If arch teams are willing to selectively choose
22 >>>what fixes they want backported to stable (when they're not prepared
23 >>>to move the ~arch version into stable) things will go much smoother.
24 >>>Of course, it would still be our responsibility to get those things
25 >>>backported and assert some confidence that it is working. However,
26 >>>once the requested fixes are backported all that needs to be done is
27 >>>put out the patched stable version with ~arch keywords and then leave
28 >>>it up to the arch teams again. Except for the slight extra burden on
29 >>>(which I believe many would actually find to be a blessing), it
30 >>>should be a win-win situation.
31 >>
32 >>Just in case you forgot and also for general reference, when I asked
33 >>the arch teams about the portage keywording policy a few months ago
34 >>(wether we should stable even without testing on all archs or to
35 >>delegate that to arch teams) everyone seemed to be happy with the old
36 >>policy, at least nobody voted for a change. As portage doesn't really
37 >>have any arch specific code and a rather short dep list IMO it also
38 >>doesn't yield any real benefit other than more people testing it (which
39 >>is of course always a good thing).
42 > Really, the bottom line is that regardless of what the response was when you
43 > asked about portage keywording, if all the arch teams had confidence in what
44 > we thought 2.0.53 would have been stable a long time ago. On the surface the
45 > only benefit is extra testing (which has already payed off) but it also
46 > allows others to take an active hand in the quality of portage as well as
47 > strengthens the communication channels. It's these auxillary benefits as well
48 > as the benefit of being able to focus on trunk more (which will yield faster
49 > rollout of features) that make me think it is the best way to go.
50 >