From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] changelog encoding
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 17:38:28
1 On 10/09/04 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 08:24:38 -0700 Brian <dol-sen@×××××.net> wrote:
4 > | I have changed porthole's code to try decode(utf_8), then try
5 > | decode(iso-8859-1). Failing either of those Porthole will display
6 > | an unknown encoding error and to please report it to bugs.gentoo.org
7 > | as well as porthole's bug tracker.
8 >
9 > Since there's no documented standard... Could one of you portage
10 > people please post a message to -dev saying "as of now, use UTF-8 for
11 > ebuilds and changelogs if at all possible"? I can update
12 > app-vim/gentoo-syntax and the default vimrc to encourange fileencoding
13 > to be uft-8 for these things...
14
15 No problem for ChangeLogs, but for ebuilds we probably need to make a
16 difference between the portage-visible parts and the normal bash stuff
17 as portage itself can only handle ascii internally.
18
19 Marius