From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] DB and binary dependency
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 20:21:12
1 On Thursday 23 March 2006 20:53, tvali wrote:
2 > So this interaction is one more thing to get simpler? I'm starting to think
3 > that i should seek for some very-very small part of portage to develop,
4 > because size of things [amount of work], which i already think i should
5 > improve in some way, is getting to somewhere near infinity :) ...ok, near
6 > what infinity is for me, not theoretical infinity ;)
7 >
8 > What is the simplest way to get one portage running in some virtual space
9 > where i could install and uninstall without actually changing my system?
10 > Using chroot in the same way as when installing gentoo is good?
11
12 Certainly,
13
14 chroot combined with lvm snapshots would be the easiest way.
15
16 If you want to focus on binary packages, you might want to start with not
17 doing it automatically, but using some crude heuristics. You can make it
18 configurable for when the heuristics don't work.
19
20 Basically what is the difference between a binary package and the source
21 package is the dependencies.
22
23 You can regard a dependency as a restriction on the configurations in which
24 the package can be installed. For binary packages only runtime dependencies
25 are relevant (well in gentoo anyway, we don't have initial configuration
26 deps). Binary packages do however further restrict the configurations from
27 the runtime dependencies. These restrictions originate from the configuration
28 when compiling the package.
29
30 Then I have some good and bad news. The good news:
31 - Binary dependencies are as necessary for binary packages, as for validating
32 a current configuration (set of installed packages).
33 The bad:
34 - For proper binary dependencies the depend expression possibilities must be
35 extended. Useflag dependencies would be at least usefull. BINSLOT would be
36 almost required. We already saw that SLOT can't always be used for BINSLOT.
37
38 Paul
41 Paul de Vrieze
42 Gentoo Developer