From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] emerge-webrsync patch
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 19:43:27
1 On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 05:38:02PM +0100, Johannes Fahrenkrug wrote:
2 > Paul Varner wrote:
5 > >Instead of hardcoding the nice value, use PORTAGE_NICENESS. Here is how
6 > >it is done in revdep-rebuild
7 > >
8 > ># Obey PORTAGE_NICENESS
9 > >PORTAGE_NICENESS=$(portageq envvar PORTAGE_NICENESS)
10 > >[ ! -z "$PORTAGE_NICENESS" ] && renice $PORTAGE_NICENESS $$ > /dev/null
14 > Good point. Is this patch better? Or should it rather be _exactly_ as it
15 > is in revdep-rebuild?
16
17 I'd suggest raiding from emerge-delta-webrsync for the portageq call;
18 it's a bit nasty, but it's a single call rather then multiple.
19
20 I'd also raid the tarsync call- this is something I was intending on
21 doing but have't yet. It will cut out the untarring/rsyncing call to
22 2 read throughs of the tarball, and single run through the tree.
23
24 Fair bit faster, especially if the user's box doesn't have the ram to
25 buffer the tree/tarball in memory. Tagging portage_niceness into it,
26 just create a var with the appropriate nice call- if no
27 PORTAGE_NICENESS, then the var is empty.
28
29 ~harring