From: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Slot selection mechanism?
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 00:30:53
1 Hi,
2
3 I've been trying to think of ways to get around a dilemma with package versioning.
4
5 To use an example, we plan to make gentoo-patched 2.4 and 2.6 kernels
6 available under "gentoo-sources" (currently they are split into 2 packages).
7
8 At any one time, we'd have a structure like:
9
10 gentoo-sources-2.4.27-r1 (stable)
11 gentoo-sources-2.4.27-r2 (~arch testing)
12 gentoo-sources-2.6.8-r5 (stable)
13 gentoo-sources-2.6.9-rc3-r1 (~arch testing)
14
15 The problem is that a 2.4 user would see 2.6 as a package update, even though
16 they might really want to stick to 2.4. We could get around this by having say
17 2.4 as stable, 2.6 as ~arch, but that makes it not possible to release
18 "testing" releases for kernels.
19
20 So, we'd like a way to allow users to say "I want to stick to 2.4 for kernel
21 packages" or something like that. But I don't think this is limited to
22 kernels, I think this might be useful in other areas of the tree too?
23
24 Take GTK+ (2.4 - the stable branch) as an example. New GTK+ releases first
25 come into ~arch for a few weeks, then get moved into stable. I develop GTK+
26 apps, so I use package.keywords to "unmask" these packages.
27 If the gentoo maintainers decided to put ebuilds for the 2.5 (development)
28 branch into the tree, then I'd be asked to upgrade. But thats not what I want,
29 not many people like developing for a moving-target API.
30
31 So, are there any plans for some sort of slot selection mechanism? One thing
32 that I have thought of is some sort of portage application used to do this.
33 Something like:
34
35 version-select gtk+ 2.4
36
37 I know pretty much nothing about portage internals so I have no idea how
38 feasible this sort of idea is. But we (kernel) really would benefit from some
39 way to select "slots" like this, without forcing all users having to hack
40 /etc/portage for every kernel package they want to use.
41
42 Any pointers/comments?
43
44 Thanks,