From: Selckin <lists@×××××××.be>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] relying on vdb only
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 11:58:54
1 On Monday 11 February 2008 12:50:39 Brian Harring wrote:
2 > On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 09:48:01AM +0100, Vlastimil Babka wrote:
3
4 > > Well, the idea that devs will have to revbump packages just for RDEPEND
5 > > version restrictions so that portage picks it freaks me :)
6 > >
7 > > Then there's: "I do have a tool that copies metadata from ebuilds but
8 > > I'd prefer to avoid doing anything like that if possible."
9 > >
10 > > So maybe it's time to discuss what's possible? :)
11 > > If that discussion already happens/happened elsewhere, then sorry for
12 > > noise and please point me there :)
13 >
14 > Relying on the vdb is far saner then relying on the tree; so no, it's
15 > not particularly dangerous, the inverse (relying on the tree to have
16 > the same deps for vdb) is far worse imo.
17 >
18 > Solution to this is to reuse the existing update infrastructure, and
19 > add a new command into it that resets the depends/rdepends- haven't
20 > looked to see if older portage versions would behave well if they
21 > encounter an unknown command in profiles/updates/* however.
22 >
23 > ~brian
24
25 This should really be [possible|done] without introducing yet another ugly and
26 very difficult to maintain update/* hack?
27 --
28 gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o mailing list