From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Moving ebuild-related where they belong
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 13:09:41
1 Zac Medico wrote:
2 > If we implement the repo-level profile, it can have a
3 > bashrc (much like profile.bashrc) that acts as a repo-level ebuild template
4 > (like install-helpers.eclass). Actually, the repo-level profile already exists
5 > in the form of files such as ${PORTDIR}/profiles/{package.mask,arch.list},
6 > though it doesn't yet have support for a bashrc (ebuild template).
7
8 Well, this is a nice idea, but not applicable to this problem. I had a
9 chat with Brian some days back, and the conclusion was that factoring
10 out the helper functions is basically an EAPI change. If we handle it
11 transparently, as in either using PORTAGE_AUTOLOAD_ECLASS or the
12 repo-level profile, we move parts of the EAPI out into the tree, which
13 is a bad idea because we are unable to support multiple versions. As the
14 EAPI needed for the ebuild is unknown when sourcing
15 install-helpers.eclass, we're actually forced into using that one and
16 only version, which is quite limiting.
17
18 So, the correct way to do it is to define an EAPI=1 that does no longer
19 include these helper functions and make the eclasses/ebuilds that use it
20 inherit the eclass manually. However, this will need to run through -dev
21 and I'm afraid the ebuild devs wouldn't like it at all :-/
24 Kind Regards,
25
26 Simon Stelling
27 Gentoo/AMD64 developer