From: Ed Grimm <paranoid@××××××××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] changelog encoding
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 01:07:17
1 On Fri, 8 Oct 2004, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 16:26:33 +0000 Luke-Jr <luke-jr@×××××××.org> wrote:
3 >|> Yup. We *need* to have an official encoding. Reason being, at least
4 >|> one developer has a non-(ASCII as in characters 0..126 only)
5 >|
6 >| ASCII defines 128 characters: 0-127
7 >| Why cut the last off?
8 >
9 > As I recall, 127 is flaky. Come to think of it, so is 0-31ish as well.
10 > So maybe I should've said [a-zA-Z0-9\-_,.<>?/\\;:'@#~\]{}\+="$%^&* ] or
11 > something... Basically, anything even the slightest bit flaky, plus
12 > newlines, is prone to explode.
13
14 I hope you like long lines.
15
16 Might I propose [\n\t\r -~]?
17
18 However, I suggest that any programs that cannot deal with characters
19 0-127 are broken and should be fixed. Admittedly, outputing 27 to the
20 terminal raw could trigger a security hole in many terminals, and
21 several other terminals have problems with another character (I'm
22 vaguely thinking 17, but not sure.)
23
24 (The preceeding paragraph should not be taken as an alternate solution,
25 but one to combine with restricting characters to the above recommended
26 9, 10, 13, 32-126.)
27
28 Ed
31 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list