From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: RFC: emerge manpage options categorization
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 13:55:13
1 Kent Fredric posted on Thu, 12 Mar 2015 15:23:59 +1300 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 12 March 2015 at 15:19, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Comments?
8 > A less radical change would be some sort of tagging notation on each
9 > feature to indicate their usage.
10 >
11 > That way, it doesn't impede the current audience who expects to be able
12 > to browse the list alphabetically.
13 >
14 > ( I suggest this, because restructuring it radically will have potential
15 > bikeshed drama of people not liking the new layout, so tag-style
16 > metadata makes the levels visible without requiring a restructure )
17
18 Tags would be less radical, indeed, and an improvement from current,
19 agreed.
20
21 But as envisioned, the alphabetic order of all options (including those
22 listed in the other sections, as I mentioned in the original proposal)
23 would be maintained in the all options section, precisely because it
24 remains useful to have an alphabetically ordered full-reference section.
25
26 Tho as proposed, that all-options section may /optionally/ be moved into
27 its own manpage, with an explicit note to that effect in the main
28 manpage. Among other things that would avoid an already long manpage
29 made longer by repeated option descriptions. But I don't feel strongly
30 enough about such a split to make it a big deal if others don't like the
31 idea, the the "optional" qualifier.
32
33 IOW, people that didn't like the new layout could simply refer to the all-
34 options section or separate manpage for the old alphabetically-ordered
35 full reference layout, which should hopefully reduce resistance
36 dramatically. =:^)
41 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman