From: Jeremy Maitin-Shepard <jbms@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: [gentoo-doc] Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] coveted features
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 04:43:20
1 Bart Lauwers <blauwers@g.o> writes:
2
3 > [snip]
4
5 > Only developer documentation obviously. But auto generated docs don't have to
6 > be bad, most of the kde programming docs are done on the fly and they are
7 > more then decent. They're also complete and consistent. In terms of API
8 > documentation kde rules, can't we mimik this? (And sorry I kinda felt this
9 > was obvious in the request but I do mean a documentation level which isn't
10 > maintained by the doc team nor meant for general consumption but a reference
11 > guide for devs. And then still split in 2 levels, with one for portage
12 > development/ integration and one for ebuild developers.) And consumer doc
13 > writers are allowed but not forced to use the API level docs for
14 > reference. :) (Well I'm convinced it would make things better on a lot of
15 > fronts to have tighter code/doc integration but maybe there is a
16 > better way.)
17
18 The quality of the documentation produced by doxygen and similar
19 documentation collectors/generators is generally much higher for very
20 object-oriented code; this is why the Java standard library
21 documentation generated by Javadoc is quite usable, and very likely why
22 the KDE documentation is very good. (I will take your word for it, I
23 have not looked at it myself.) If portage-ng is written in a very
24 object-oriented way, then it is possible that Doxygen-generated
25 documentation will be of reasonable quality (provided that sufficient
26 comments are added to the code). Otherwise, some manually written
27 documentation describing certain components or the interaction of
28 certain components would probably be at least a useful supplement.
29 Indeed, it is in describing the interaction between different
30 components that generated documentation, even of highly object-oriented
31 code, is often less useful.
34 Jeremy Maitin-Shepard
37 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list