From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev]
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 09:19:32
1 On 11/03/2014 01:42 PM, Brian Dolbec wrote:
2 > I know the above times are probably slowed by not having overlays indexed, but it is still a significant speedup.
3 > esearch is only marginally slower doing a -S search than a regular pkg-name search, typically just over 0.2 seconds
6 > The above was done with only the gentoo repo indexed, plus I need to clean out some old ebuilds in overlays.
7 > But I was shocked to see the normal -s searches going from 3.4s to 5.5s with your new index.
10 If you update now, performance should be much better. Specifically:
11
12 1) pkg_desc_index_line_read has been optimized to skip validation
13 (biggest performance problem).
14
15 2) IndexedPortdb has been optimized to use a single portdbapi.cp_all
16 call that covers all of the unindexed repositories.
17
18 > Also I did not see a way to specify all repos to be index updated. It is I believe a requirement of this new system.
19 > Re-running is for each repo installed individually is something to be
20 reserved for the new postsync() to do when it
21 > lands in master.
22
23 Yeah, I guess we may as well wait for the plugin-sync branch to get
24 merged first.
25 --
26 Thanks,
27 Zac