From: Michael Haubenwallner <michael.haubenwallner@×××××××.at>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] status of "prefixed" portage (or portage as a secondary package manager)?
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 09:04:15
1 Hi Matt,
2
3 m h wrote:
4 > Hi portage devs-
5 >
6 > I've posted similar things to the dev and osx lists, but hear that this
7 > might be the appropriate forum.
8 >
9 > I'm investigating portage as an alternative to openpkg and would like to
10 > know the status of "prefixed package installs" or "portage as a
11 > secondary package manager". Here's a link to an 5 week old osx post
12 > that summarizes the state of things 5 weeks ago:
13 > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.macosx/324
14
15 My current development status on this is not much more than "proof of concept",
16 although i had to suspend the work on this project until ~Jan. 2006 due to
17 some decisions in the company i'm working in.
18
19 But what's already done:
20
21 I imported portage in my own cvs-repo as a vendor branch a few times,
22 but the last import was at 2005/05/24.
23
24 The SUPPORTS-variable comming out of the GLEP-Thread works, and it's already
25 possible to start an 'emerge system' on a non-Gentoo Linux (RH/AS 2.1), where
26 24 packages already merge successfully. I did also some auspicious tries on
27 Solaris 2.8.
28
29 To bootstrap the first prefixed portage instance, i've some similar (but very
30 reduced featured) package-building-system, which only needs a running posix-
31 shell, a GNU-make, some compiler to build binutils/gcc and some coreutils found
32 on every *nix. I use this one currently to compile the bunch of our own (mostly
33 closed-source) packages on HP-UX/AIX/SunOS/Linux/Cygwin,
34 but it lacks many useful features found in portage.
35
36 Once there's a running portage in some prefix, this one should be able to
37 bootstrap another portage instance in a different prefix.
38
39 For the ebuild-tree:
40 The one i use is a very reduced set of ebuilds initially based on a gentoo-tree
41 snapshot as of 20050626.
42
43 I've defined secondary profiles setting a USE-flag 'secondary' (unsure if really
44 needed), and made a new sys-apps/baselayout-secondary package providing a
45 /${AFFIX}etc/profile, which does not just _set_ but _extend_ path-style
46 env-variables when sourced. This required some additional portage extensions
47 to create an /${AFFIX}etc/env.conf to be used by this /${AFFIX}etc/profile.
48
49 ~haubi
52 > I'm wondering if anyone is working on this? I potentially have a week
53 > to try and get something working, but would appreciate some guidance
54 > (have experience with python and bash but know little of portage
55 > internals, only have briefly glanced at code and read developer
56 > documentation).
57 >
58 > Comments, thoughts or suggestions?
59 >
60 > thanks
61 >
62 > matt
65 Michael Haubenwallner SALOMON Automation GmbH
66 Forschung & Entwicklung A-8114 Friesach bei Graz
67 mailto:michael.haubenwallner@×××××××.at http://www.salomon.at
68 No HTML/MIME please, see http://expita.com/nomime.html
69 --
70 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list