From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] The merge of emerde with emerge
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 13:21:46
1 On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 10:01 +0100, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > At the point where there are proper modules in portage, I'm all for it to
3 > make everything a module.
4 It's coming down the pipe. Obviously done when it's done, but
5 refactoring the tree code and moving it out of portage.py and into their
6 own modules is my next target after I put the finishing touchs on cache
7 refactoring, and contents backend refactoring (bit more then a finishing
8 touch on the latter- need to do integration of it).
9
10 > What I mean is that slack code should be
11 > modularized in such a way that there is no trace of it when you don't
12 > want it.
13 For using a slack repository, it's possible/viable. For
14 identifcation/merging of a slack tgz, that's a different case. Unless
15 portage is dynamically loading all modules in a directory (or in a
16 specified list), identification of the tgz will be tricky- _even_ if all
17 slack related code is loaded on demand, that still leaves the nasty mess
18 of writing hooks for modules to register functions for identification of
19 a format. I honestly don't see that happening for a long while, I'd
20 expect identification of the various formats to be handled in portage.
21
22 > For the current system that means some wrapper of some kind.
23 Define wrapper. module wrapper, seperate binary wrapper...
24
25 > For
26 > a modularized system that means that there is a slack package that
27 > installs a number of slackware specific modules and configures portage to
28 > use them.
29 There really isn't/won't be any simple way to configure portage to be
30 aware of new formats on the fly (imo). It's doable, but I disagree that
31 no additional formats should be supported until the code is implemented
32 that way- as is, we already have code in portage for handling our own
33 binpkg format, and for rpms.
34 ~brian
38 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list