From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Security and Comparison of Portage with other Package Managers
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2015 23:26:31
1 On 03/06/2015 09:50 AM, Mark Kubacki wrote:
2 > We're on the same side here.
3 >
4 > Do we have numbers showing the ratio "portage used with defaults" vs.
5 > where "[webrsync-gpg] is described in many hardening guides for gentoo
6 > and widely used among the security conscious" applies?
7 >
8 > DNS not being encrypted is just painting the whole picture. Point is,
9 > the default is that "emerge --sync" results in a transfer using RSYNC
10 > (or http).
11 >
12 > And by default you cannot compare the result with any authoritative source.
15 Ideally, we can rely on security mechanisms built into git [1], possibly
16 involving signed commits.
17
18 [1] https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo-portage-rsync-mirror
19 --