From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Storing origin repository in VDB
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 07:15:01
1 There are several cases where the information from which repository
2 (portdir, overlays, ...) a package originally came from when it was
3 installed. Currently that information isn't really available, at most
4 you can use some heuristics on environment.bz2 or comparing ebuilds
5 directly, but those methods aren't very reliable (may return both false
6 positives and false negatives). So storing the origin repo seems like a
7 good idea, qustion is how:
8
9 1) Save (part of) the value of $EBUILD
10 2) Save the repository name
11 3) ???
12
13 Option 1) has the benefit that it would be useful from the start, but
14 the drawback that if the path of a repository changes the information
15 becomes invalid. Option 2) avoids that but would require that all
16 repositories are named to be useful. Don't know if there is another
17 option that avoids both problems.
18 If I'd had to choose I'd probably go for option 2) and encourage people
19 to name their repositories, but I'm open for suggestions to use option
20 1) or for a third option.
21
22 Marius
27 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
28 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.