From: Francesco Riosa <BastianBalthazarBux@×××××××××.it>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] [RFC] making the tree depend on portage
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 12:43:25
1 > Whenever we want/need to make structural changes to the tree that are
2 > going to break backwards compability we have a serious problem
3 [...]
4
5 Just throwing random thoughts here, but
6
7 Would a rescue-portage help on this ?
8
9 What I'm meaning is a "binary" portage provided for each ARCH (that
10 install in /opt), it MUST be easily downloadable from every user.
11
12 May be portage in case of hard fail could do that automatically issueing
13 a message like:
14
15 * OOPS, could not include module X this mean portage system is utterly
16 broken.
17 * would you try to download a rescue portage?
18
19 The rescue-portage does not need to be a fully functional portage, it
20 need only to be able to install a newer portage and it's direct
21 dependancies.
24 Regards,
25 Francesco
26 --